One of the Typographica rituals of which we’re most fond is the rotating nameplate. Each design was created and submitted by a reader, reflecting the site’s collaborative nature and keeping things fresh, while offering type and graphic designers the opportunity to show off their latest work. We’ve saved 152 of the 154 nameplates for posterity. The other two? Their fate is known only to Dr. Hermann Pütershein.
Above: A collection of 152 reader-submitted nameplates — all the way back to June, 2002. Push play. If you sit here long enough you can see them all!
Now that we have a new Typographica, it’s time for a new nameplate tradition. This redesign is all about the type, so there’s no better element to crown the page (and drive the main navigation) than a fresh typeface every few weeks.
Anyone is welcome to submit their typeface for consideration as a future Typographica nameplate. There are two requirements:
- The typeface must fit Typographica’s ethereal and undocumented requirements for design and readability.
- We’ll request a sponsorship fee to keep the site running
The nameplate typeface is credited in the header of every page on the site and linked permanently in the list below. Please contact the editor if interested.
- Apr 2009 — Dessau by Gábor Kóthay
- May 2009 — Stag Stencil by Christian Schwartz
- Jun 2009 — FF Tartine Script by Xavier Dupré
- Jul 2009 — Dez Squeeze by Chris Lozos
- Aug 2009 — Calluna by Jos Buivenga
- Oct 2009 — Bonesana by Matthieu Cortat
- Jan 2010 — FF Yoga Sans by Xavier Dupré
- Sep 2010 — Geotica by Jos Buivenga
- Dec 2010 — Satura by Göran Söderström by Peter Bruhn
- Jan 2010 — Calluna Sans by Jos Buivenga
- Feb 2010 — Swagg by Richard Miller
- Mar 2010 — Sweet Sans by Mark van Bronkhorst
- Apr 2011 — ARS Maquette by Angus R. Shamal
- May 2011 — Sweet Square by Mark van Bronkhorst
- Feb 2012 — FF Quadraat Web by Fred Smeijers
- Jan 2013 — MVB Verdigris by Mark van Bronkhorst
- Feb 2013 — Vinter by Frode Helland and Telefon by Sindre Bremnes
- May 2013 — Bureau Grot by David Berlow, Jill Pichotta, Christian Schwartz, and Richard Lipton
- Sep 2013 — MVB Solitaire by Mark van Bronkhorst
- Oct 2013 — Baton by Yassin Baggar and Anton Koovit
- Feb 2014 — Sutro Deluxe by Jim Parkinson
- Oct 2014 — Orwellian by Shiva Nallaperumal
- Feb 2015 — Blesk by Samarskaya & Partners
- Jun 2015 — Eksell Display by Letters from Sweden
- Jul 2015 — Stenciletta by Joachim Müller-Lancé
- Aug 2015 — ATF Wedding Gothic by ATF Collection
- Nov 2015 — Tenez by Rodrigo Saiani
- Feb 2016 — Beausite by Yassin Baggar
- Apr 2016 — Grifo by Rui Abreu
- May 2016 — Gitan by Florian Runge
- Aug 2016 — Pilcrow Soft by Satya Rajpurohit
- Sep 2016 — Yuzu by Elliott Amblard
- Nov 2016 — Beorcana by Carl Crossgrove